Thursday, November 7, 2013

DUKE

     

         While working for SSA in Florida, mainly in Lake City (Columbia), I was a sucker for taking in stray dogs.  I had a fenced in area in backyard  where my dog "Digger" stayed when not digging out.  She would do this evey few weeks, but always returned.
          On Jan 28th 1986 she returned from a few days out, and brought with her a dog I had never seen.  (These dogs never have any ID on them). I had never seen such a dog before.  This dog had 2 or 3 open sores on each side of the body, was weak and in dire need of some attention.  I immediately gave it some food....it was very hungry and thirsty).  That night it stayed on my open porch  on front of house. 
          The next morning, it was still there.....naturaly...  so, I fed it right away (Chigger is back in her fenced in pen).........I can always recall the date this strange looking dog appeared as it was on Jan 28th, 1986...the date space ship CHALLENGER exploded.
           Needing dire medical attention, I took it to a Vet., which I recall was just 2 of 3 blocks up the highway (US 44l--South Marion Street).  When upon seeing the dog, the Veternarian said, "Oh, my gosh, where did you get that Rhodesian Ridgeback?  I have never treated that one but I have treated several that live in this area"  He told me also that it was know as an African Lion Hound.  Upon researching the history the dog, I learned that some Boers,  who I think were from Germay-Belgium area, had setteled in Southern African (Rhodesia) and had bred it with a native dog there so they would have a hunting dog that could go longer periods without water, and mainly a strong dog to keep the lions at bay until the hunters arrived.
          Well, unfortunately this dog did not respond to theVet's medication.  A local lady that I had worked with (I had retired the year before), told me to take it to this other Vet in the area as there as a Negro man who worked there who could cure about any dog problem with "medical baths".  So,I did and left it overnight as required.  When I picked it up the next day, he told me it had acquired "bad things" from fleas and he thought it would be OK in a few days.  Bring it back  it back next year if it happend again.  (Fortunately it never happended again).
          It gets its name, in part, from the ridge on its back, and the fact it was bred in the country known then as Rhodesia.  Nice looking dog, stought, intelligent, obedient, so I named it:  DUKE
          But what happened to DUKE???  Read my next installment and find out.  (As one follower remarked a previous 2-part story:  "Your stories are  like soap operas, leave you hanging"  Well, how else I am going to back for the secon part?"

2 comments:

  1. I remember this dog! I met him when I visited you in Lake City. He certainly was a handsome dog. Enjoyed the story and am looking forward to the next installment. As a friend, and in no way meaning it as criticism, may I suggest proofreading your copy and correcting spelling, spacing, etc. before you publish it? As a former English teacher (and court reporter), I can't help myself! Glad you are back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was me Fred, that said it was like a soap, you keep us hanging! My daughter lived in Lake City, I will make sure she reads this, she also worked as a Vet Tech in Lake City! I loved your story also! Hope your mending well after your surgery!

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Thanks for visiting! I welcome all comments.